Friday, December 21, 2012

Building the Lego Disney Wonder

(Back to Page 1)

Building the Lego Wonder

Day 1 of building the Lego Wonder
Lego Wonder Day 1
Turning around a cruise ship is an incredible task.  They dock early in the morning, and, after clearing customs, then they have to get a couple thousand people off the boat, somehow reunite them with their luggage, and get them out of their hair.  Then they have to get another couple thousand people (& their stuff) on the boat, and do it in time to leave.  (& that's ignoring all of the food, trash, fuel and other stuff that has to happen)  That this all happens smoothly for the most part is amazing.

So it's not terrible surprising that the incoming passengers like me aren't reunited with their luggage for some time, and that they are left to roam the ship as their cabins are readied.  Knowing this, we planned ahead.  Lara brought a book, the kids brought swimsuits, and I... carried onboard a big bag full of Lego.

Helpful Porter: "Don't you want to check those big bags sir?"
Me: "No, I'm fine, really, thanks, I'll carry them."
I immediately went up to the top deck and started building.


It Takes a Little Time



Day 2 of Building the Lego Wonder
Lego Wonder Day 2
There's a lot to do on a cruise ship, besides build Lego I mean, but we made steady progress.  Before we left, I had mocked up part of one side, in the wrong color, to make sure that some of the sizes were right, but I'd ignored the curve of the stern and the complex curves of the bow.  The hull at the bow has a "sharp" point at the bottom, by the waterline, but has a broader more gentle curve up top, so the angles of the bow change every deck.  That took time to get right.

Also the hull needed structural support near the stern (see the holes for the line handling.  On, I think, deck 4).  Also there needed to be something to hold the bow together since I built it upside down.

(By the way, people asked about the bulbous bow.  In my model its below water :)

Hold Your Horses

Building the Lego Wonder on Day 4
Lego Wonder Day 3
By now you might be wondering about those horses at the bow.  Bing told me that Disney Wonder has over 77,000 horsepower!!!!  (But I still haven't figured out where she puts them all!)

Actually, those were just because, when I was buying pieces, there were bulk horses on the wall and I couldn't resist :)

Daisy Duck examining the Lego Wonder on Day 4
Gawking at Lego Wonder on Day 4


Gawkers

As the days passed, the guests and staff became interested in what we were doing.  Lara & I got lots of praise for the ship.

Since it was a Disney ship, humans weren't the only ones that stopped to take a look.  Most of the gang did too, here's Daisy.

Index

1 comment:

  1. The Lego Disney Wonder is now a Lego Ideas (formally Cuusoo) project, please go support us! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63519

    ReplyDelete